Domestic violence attorney price breakdown to help you make an informed decision.
Asking how much does a domestic violence lawyer costs is a good question to know the answer as a domestic violence lawyer’s costs can be high depending on whether your case is a misdemeanor or a felony.
There are other factors that criminal defense law firms use to determine the cost of your case. However, the cost to hire a domestic violence defense lawyer can range from $3500 to $20000.
The good news is that most law firms are willing to work out payment plans for their clients whereby you put down some percentage and then make a monthly payment until the balance is paid off.
The first step we recommend that you need to take if you are being charged with domestic violence is to contact a lawyer immediately. The charges for DV are not a laughing matter so consult with a legal expert for free.
Factors that determine how much a domestic violence lawyer will charge you
Some of the factors that will determine the cost for your DV case are :
- Location of court – criminal court, civil court, and divorce or family court
- The experience level of the lawyer
- Whether you have a prior case of DV
- Whether you have a criminal record of any sort or not
- Whether your case is a felony or misdemeanor
- The likelihood that the case will be taken to trial or not
- The number of charges involved – one or three counts of misdemeanor or felony
The price of not hiring a domestic violence attorney
Worrying so much about the cost of your case that will lead you to represent your or go with a public defense is probably not the best way to go.
Oftentimes people will try to represent themselves in the criminal court because of the financial cost of hiring a defense expert.
However, it is important to keep in mind that it costs you more if you do not hire a private lawyer. If you lose while defending yourself or going with a public defender you will lose your:
- Gun rights
- Job if convicted
- Child custody or visitation
If you represent yourself and lose your case, you will also be subjected to
- high fines
- many weeks of mandatory DV classes
- a higher probation period
- more jail time
- Loss of your professional license
- not being able to get a job or housing if it is a felony conviction
The laws for domestic violence in states like California are complicated and require a really good legal expert to help one. So it is worth it to pay for a private attorney service.
Contact a domestic violence attorney in San Diego for Free Consultation
If you are facing an accusation or are charged with domestic violence in any San Diego County city, please call us now to speak with an experienced lawyer to discuss your options.
The San Diego Domestic Violence Defense Pros will connect you with criminal defense lawyers at no charges to you.
Remember to ask for FREE consultation and payment plan options.
Updated on January 3rd, 2024